Sunday, May 10, 2015

"The Selection" by Kiera Cass

Image result for the selection4.5 of 5 stars.

The Basics: This novel follows America Singer in this dystopian- type novel. In this post democratic America, the country of Illea lives by castes. America is a Five, while the love of her life is a Six. They must keep their love a secret because a woman marrying into a lower caste is frowned upon.
In the highest caste, One, Prince Maxon is of age to marry. This brings upon the Selection. 35 women are chosen (in a lottery type fashion) to win over the prince and become his wife. Though America is completely against entering for the Selection, her love, Aspen, convinces her that she should. To her surprise, she is chosen and whisked away to the palace. Her plans were to stay for a little while to provide for her family, since the families of the selected are payed, but in a twist of fate America finds herself in a deal with the prince. She also develops feelings toward him that she never knew could be there. Though her feelings are in a flurry because she still loves Aspen, dealing with the other girls in the Selection, thinking about her family, and wrestling with her "friendship" with Prince Maxon becomes a struggle....especially when Aspen shows up at the palace.

My Thoughts: I loved this book. It reminded me of one of those reality shows where several women are vying for the attention of one man (and in the end, only one wins). I can certainly understand America's disposition toward Prince Maxon in the beginning of the novel and I love what their relationship is becoming. I'm happy the author did not make America into this whining, annoying protagonist because that would totally put me off of this book.
I find myself being excited for American as she learns to deal with her new position in life and I love that she is humble, which is the only way she can be coming from her caste (a Five). I also like that Prince Maxon is a likable character. The reader can relate to him though he holds so much power.
Overall, I really don't have anything bad to say about this book other than I truly dislike Celeste...but that's expected.
On to book 2...The Elite. By the way, I am late to this series, but I can pretty much figure out the plot point based on the book titles...lol (The Elite, The One).

Remember, teachers read fun stuff too!

No comments:

Post a Comment