Monday, May 18, 2015

"Bleed" by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Image result for bleed by laurie stolarz2 of 5 stars

The Basics: This short novel is a compilation of stories from the lives of multiple teens whose lives intercept each other. The events within the interwoven stories take place within one day in the city of Salem, Massachusetts. Some of the issues presented are overeating, sex, sexual abuse, cutting, depression, homosexuality, and jealousy.

My Thoughts: This story was blah! That's how I felt as I read this, blah! Though many serious issues are presented within the text, the point stays mute because the issues are not discussed or handled. For instance, Maria cuts herself and is seemingly dealing with depression. She cuts herself as a release from the angst in her life. Her "uncle" sexually abuses her, she doesn't know who her father is, and her mother seems absent. But, that's all we know. Her story is so abrupt that I don't know the point of telling her story if there is no progression or lesson learned. I would like to ask the author, what is the point? Is it just for recognition? In that case, we know that these issues are alive in the lives of preteens, teenagers, and even adults. But why is the plot so weak?

Either way, I know that Stolarz is a New York Times Best Selling Author, so I would like to read more from her but this book fell completely short for me.

I definitely would not recommend it to my students because I feel as though the purpose of this book is completely lost in the lack of plot progression. As a reader, I want closure and I know that's not always possible, but some kind of purpose for these characters presented problems would be nice.

Remember, teachers read fun stuff too!

No comments:

Post a Comment