Sunday, November 29, 2015

"Fifth Grave Past the Light" by Darynda Jones

Image result for fifth grave past the light5 of 5 stars!

The Basics: Charley Davidson, aka the grim reaper, aka the private investigator, takes on another case of a woman who thinks her husband is cheating on her. Though Charley thinks she is done with the case toward the beginning of the book, the husband makes an unexpected appearance toward the end of the novel seeking revenge after his wife files for divorce.
In the meantime, dead blond women are showing up in Charley's apartment. They aren't speaking and they seem scared, skittish and easily frightened. Charley seeks to find out what happened to these woman as the captain of the police department becomes extra interested in Charley's role in assisting her father and Uncle Ubie in solving multiple crimes since she was a child.
Of course, Reyes Farrow plays a role in this novel as he continues to be a mysterious figure that Garrett Swopes becomes more interested in after his trip to hell and back from the last installment of the novel. In this novel, we learn that Reyes was the one responsible for sending Swopes to hell to find a knife that could kill supernatural beings (including Reyes). 

My Thoughts: Darynda Jones can do no harm. I love her style of writing and I love Charley. How can you not like Charley? Either way, the ending of the book was awesome. I can't believe Reyes asked Charley to marry him. I just hope she says yes. I can't wait to start the next book.
I will say that I am concerned about Swopes. He was one of my favorite characters and I feel like he's starting to be a character I dislike because of his obsession with Reyes. I know he's concerned about Reyes and the whole ending the world thing, but he is totally obsessed and that almost got him killed.
Also, the dead women in Charley's apartment was kind of disturbing and the Charley's near death at the end was disturbing. I hope she learns how to control her supernatural abilities more as the series continues.

Remember, teachers read fun stuff too!

No comments:

Post a Comment