Sunday, October 4, 2015

"We Were Liars" by E. Lockhart

Image result for we were liars4 of 5 stars. 

The Basics: Cadence is a Sinclair. Her family is wealthy and owns their own island where each of her grandfather's daughters have their own house. She and the Liars (Johnny, Mirren and Gat) enjoy each other's company every summer until a fire changes everything. Her cousins, Mirren and Johnny, are the closest things Cadence has to best friends. They are all a few months apart, Cady being the oldest. She falls in love with Gat and they become inseperable every summer.
During Summer Fifteen, everything changes which causes Cady to have terrible headaches and unexplained amnesia. We don't find out the truth about the Liars until the end of the book.   

My Thoughts: This book was wonderful! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was definitely confused about some parts of the novel because I didn't know what to believe. I couldn't figure out if Cady's perspective was true or if what she was seeing was accurate. Then, when I got to the end of the book, I was like, OMG, I have to read the whole book over again. LOL!
Lockhart does a great job in building the reader's suspense because you want to keep reading to figure out what happened leading up to Cady's accident. One thing that did annoy me was the extensive metaphors. Figurative language is great, but when it confuses the reader completely, then that's a problem.
I did participate in the read along at Bookish Lifestyle. Click here for discussion one and click here for discussion two.

~Remember, teachers read fun stuff too!

No comments:

Post a Comment