Tuesday, August 11, 2015

"Fourth Grave Beneath my Feet" by Darynda Jones


Image result for fourth grave beneath my feet5 of 5 stars
The Basics: After going through the terror of Earl Walker in book three, Charley has been a recluse for 2 months. Ordering random kitchen items seems to be the extent of her once exciting life as she handles a mild form of PTSD. After eventually getting a case, Charley tries to solve the mysterious happenings surrounding the intimidation/stalking of a wealthy, beautiful woman named Harper. Harper’s stepmother feels as though Harper is crazy and is making up stories of beheading rabbits on her bed which all seemed to begin when her father remarried.
Also, Charley’s father is still trying to figure out the extent of her abilities, which drives Charley to continue to not speak with him or her stepmother. Amongst the turmoil in her life, Charley is working on a case with her Uncle Bob (Ubie) about a serial arsonist and a band of bandits who have been robbing banks. On top of that, she is still being hunted by demons that are now possessing human bodies to avoid being exposed to light (which automatically kills them).  
My Thoughts: (Some spoilers ahead) I continue to adore Charley and this series. I love that the reader got to see another side of her. Before, she was scared of nothing, now her experience with Earl Walker has made her fear everything (which is how the demons sense her). Of course, things between her and Reyes continue to be weird. He always finds a reason to randomly appear and disappear and she desires to know more about him (though she hates him initially because he used her as bait to lure Earl Walker in book 3). Either way, their relationship is enviable because he continues to protect her and he is absolutely beautiful. I love that they actually had sex in this book (in his physical/corporeal form). It was everything I imagined it would be. Darynda Jones wrote the sex scene fabulously. I was envious of Charley at that moment.
At the end of the book, it took me completely off guard that Harper was already dead. I felt so bad for her. I almost shed a tear myself once the family became aware of her death. It was very sad, especially since Charley was sad too. I can’t imagine how it would feel to handle your emotions as well as feel the emotions of those around you. That’s tough.
I am soooo looking forward to book 5. This series cannot get old to me. I am always excited to keep reading. This book did leave me with a few questions that I’m guessing will be answered in book 5. Is Reyes the arsonist? What will happen with the bike gang?
I am also hoping that Charley and her father mend their relationship. I don’t think he means any harm but he has to understand he can’t change Charley, he can only live with her differences and try to understand them. I think he somewhat got to that point by the end of this book. Book 5, here I come.
~Remember, teachers read fun stuff too!

No comments:

Post a Comment