Wednesday, February 11, 2015

"The Devil's Arithmetic" by Jane Yolen

                                      3.5 of 5 stars.
Image result for the devil's arithmetic 
The Basics: This book follows Hannah, a young girl from New Rochelle. During a Seder celebration, she is transported to a time of turmoil and disregard for the human life; we now call it the Holocaust. Chaya's (Hannah's) confusion is apparent when she meets her "aunt" and "uncle" Gitl and Shmuel. Upon their arrival to Shmuel's wedding, German soldiers come to relocate the Jews. Chaya knows exactly what is going to happen as she is from the future, but no one takes heed to what she is saying. At the concentration camps many friends and family die, including Chaya. When Hannah comes back to the future/present time, she learns that the girl who became her friend at the concentration camp, Rivka, was actually a depiction of her Aunt Eva. It was as if Hannah was reliving the horrors experienced by her aunt and those her aunt knew.  
 
My Thoughts: The story was indeed captivating as it discusses the horrors experienced during the Holocaust. The idea that the Holocaust was an actual time period in which unspeakable dread was experienced still boggles my mind. Fictional depictions of this time period like The Devil's Arithmetic only touch the surface of the hell Jews went through in such concentration camps. My mind can't even fathom this abhorrence toward human life. I didn't even know the kids hid in the trash when Dr. Mengele would come. How awful!

I did like the story told in this book, but the plot is slow in the beginning and it actually took me a while to gain an interest in the book. But, the character of Hannah/Chaya was well developed. As the reader, I did feel a connection with her and became vested in her well-being. I had my students read this book and those who actually finished the book did enjoy it, though it admittedly wasn't the best book they read. Personally, it wasn't the best fictional Holocaust book I have read either, but the experience in which the book allows the reader to experience is notable.

I see that a movie was made to accompany the book, so I will view it.

Remember, teachers read fun stuff too!

No comments:

Post a Comment