Monday, January 26, 2015

"Frozen" (Heart of Dread #1) by Melissa de la Cruz

4 of 5 stars

Basics: In this semi-civilized world, this book follows Nat. She is what they call "marked". To be marked means certain scrutiny because of the powers they possess. Nat has escaped her imprisonment and tries to survive in New Vegas. The world has frozen over and Vegas is one of the few thriving cities in the RSA (Remaining States of America). In her quest to find the Blue- the coveted land of fresh water, warm weather, and blue skies- Nat meets Wes. Wes is ex-military and has become a runner. Wes and his crew decide to take on Nat's job in getting her to New Crete, which lets them know she is searching for the Blue. In this cold world, Nat discovers who she is and both learn that they can be in love, though the journey is hard.

My Thoughts: Spoilers included. I did not think I was going to like this book. I am such a book nerd but high fantasy has never been my thing. The idea of the novel is great and I love that the setting is a post civilized (in a way) USA. The world is frozen, food is hard to come by (or so the citizens are believed to think) and water is a hot commodity. Beef is expensive, real fruit is a thing of the past, and you must have a license to have sex (wow!). Either way, the budding romance between Nat and Wes is great to watch. You know they are falling hard for each other, though there is obvious hesitation.

As I read the book, I instantly loved Nat and Wes. As a reader you want Nat to survive and you want Wes to be the man that softens her heart and in return brings him the love that he soooo deserves. So, as they go on this mission with the twins, Shakes and Farouk, you continue to hope for the best. Then, on the Alby we meet Liannan and the smallmen and the adventure continues to intensify.

I thought the ending was a bit lackluster though. I was hoping that Wes and Nat could put their worries aside and be happy together but Wes' determination to find his sister and Nat's new found identity as the drakonrydder left their lives in two different places. It was nice that they declared their love for one another and vowed to reunite at some point. This is what makes me excited for book 2, Stolen. On a side note, I love that Shakes and Liannan will be together. Their love story and Liannan's venture seem to be a great subplot  that may develop in the second book.

On to Stolen I go....

Remember,
Teachers read fun stuff too!

No comments:

Post a Comment